Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Brief garden update

Last night we laid the last stone and mostly flattened out the walkway in our front yard.  When it rains again, I'll go out and stomp on the stones to settle them better and hopefully even the path out even more.  This morning I bought some Miracle-Gro soil to mix in with the dirt already in the herb/flower plot.  The dirt wasn't doing a great job of growing grass, and I hit clay about five inches down.  I think it could use a Miracle-Gro boost.  I'll transplant herbs and plant some seeds and a tulip bulb this weekend.  Matt will be glad to get the herb sprouts out of the study.  Of course, I like planting things so well that I may start something new in the pots as soon as they're empty.

Before buying soil, I went out to the vegetable garden to weed and plant.  I planted one hill of acorn squash, one hill of watermelon, and seven pea plant seeds.  The zucchini and squash I planted last Wednesday have sprouted and are growing well.  My tomato plants are now taller than the surrounding weeds.  Purple hull peas and green beans are still looking great.  In fact, I think I saw the beginning of beans on the green bean plants.  When I go back to the garden this weekend, I'll need to thin out my rows.  I hate the thought of getting rid of healthy plants.  I'll try to find someplace to transplant them.  I'll take photos again before I thin things out so that I have a record of how well things sprouted.

No comments:

Post a Comment