Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I have a website!

There's nothing on my website yet, but I have one: http://www.natalieroliver.com.  I got a domain name and a web host and am now a website owner!  I'm pretty excited.  A year ago, I never would have guessed that I'd have my own site.  When there's something interesting to see on the site, I'll post about it here on my blog.

It's an investment ($35 for one year) towards my career as a website designer.  I've worked on two websites, but I don't have anything reliable to show people who want to see samples of my work.  The synod got a new website, so none of my work is on their site.  I designed the Luther Memorial site, but someone else is now maintaining it, and the changes that have been made don't reflect my design aesthetic.  So I got my own site so that I can display my own designs without fear that it will be altered by someone else.

I also want to learn PHP, a programming language that makes websites interactive, and access to a server is necessary.  Now that I have my own website, I have access to a server and can work on learning more to make even better websites.  Also having my own site will give me a chance to learn more about the behind-the-scenes part of websites so that I will be able to help organizations that don't have a site at all to get things set up.

So now my days will be filled with gardening and my evenings with website design.

No comments:

Post a Comment