Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Semester-End Cold Ends Fun and Productivity

Last week I was very busy and social.  This weekend my to-do list was untouched, and my social calendar was cleared by a cold.  I used to get a cold at the end of every semester in college because I'd wear myself down doing final projects and taking exams, but it seems I don't have to be a student to catch the semester-end cold.  I had wanted to take a little trip to Cincinnati over the weekend to get away during Mother's Day, but Matt had too much grading to do.  So instead I got a cold, which effectively kept me away from Mother's Day.  The cold started with a sore throat on Saturday morning and has now progressed through sinus congestion, coughing and--new today--chest congestion.  Hurray for progress!  I'm drinking a lot of tea and water and making trips to the bathroom as if I were still pregnant.  I bathe in baby vapor bath and slather Vapor Rub cream on myself. I've blown my nose so much already that I'm getting occasional nose bleeds.  And although I lounge on the couch all day, I'm not sleeping well at night.  I got less than 4 hours last night, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to nap today.  Even with all that ickiness, this cold isn't as bad as the one last fall.

I'm hoping to be well enough by Thursday to have coffee with Beth in the morning while her 23-month-old son Elliot is at "school" (a.k.a. Mother's Day Out).  And on Thursday or Friday we should go to Elizabethtown for our car's 50,000 mile check up and oil change.  But I'm not going to push myself if I'm not healthy yet.  I need to get completely well so that I can work in the garden(s) and clean the house and exercise and have fun.

Yesterday I worked for a little while on switching out my wardrobe from winter maternity to regular summer clothes.  I think all of the maternity clothes and pregnancy books are in boxes and ready to go to the attic.  While we were at Walmart last night buying cold medicines, we bought another storage tub and I put the 3-6 month and larger baby clothes in it.  That can go to the attic, too, to free up some space in the nursery so that it can be used as a guest room.  The newborn and 0-3 month clothes are in the plastic chest of drawers, so I'm just going to leave them there.  We haven't set up the crib, so it can be taken to the attic with most of the baby gear.  I like the arrangement of things on the changing table and it's a pain to assemble, so I plan to just cover it so it doesn't get dusty.  We will probably move the rocker/recliner to the study and leave the little bookcase and books where they are.  I'm looking for a daybed/trundle at a reasonably price so guests have somewhere to sleep.  It could be moved to the study as a couch when we need a nursery again.  We probably won't actually move the baby stuff until we have something else to put in the room.  I find it helpful to work to make the room useful, since it can't be used as a nursery until next spring at the very soonest.  I put a lot of energy into making it a nursery, so I'm redirecting that energy to make it a guest room.  For a while, I was having trouble getting interested in shopping or eating because Neil had been my motivation for those things for several months.  Now I'm making a list of things we need to buy for our house (several number buttons on our microwave no longer work), and I'm back to my pre-pregnancy state of having strong food cravings.  While I'm trying to focus my energies forward, it's kind of weird to realize that my due date was exactly one month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment