Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Staying Busy

It's been about a week since I last posted.  We've been staying busy.  This is finals week at Campbellsville University, so Matt has lots of grading to do.  Graduation is at 9 a.m. Saturday, and grades are due by 10 a.m. Monday.  I've been doing some projects.  I reorganized the bathroom shelves a couple days ago.  Yesterday I tried to work at the vegetable garden, but it was still too wet after last weekend's flood.  So I dug up a bit of the front yard right in front of our big window for a small flower and herb garden.  I dug about half of it--the difficult half--so that we could put a little walkway in front of the flowers leading to our front porch.  We need one more stone to complete the walkway.  I think we're also going to get a few stepping stones to put between the walkway and the driveway so that people will use our front door, which opens into our study.  The side door opens into a tiny space between the basement stairs and the kitchen, not a great place to greet visitors.  We're going to plant the tulips that the church sent to Neil's funeral.  We'll also probably get some other perennials and some parsley, lots of basil and maybe one cilantro plant.  Lowe's has lots of plants on clearance, and there are a few nurseries around.  I'll take and share pictures when the front flower garden is done.

We've also been socializing quite a bit.  Last Friday, we had hors d'oeuvres with Annie, Shawn, Susie and Thomas at Annie's farm after we worked in the community vegetable garden.  Then we went to Shawn and Susie's house for pizza and Scrabble.  Shawn is a new political science professor at the university.  Susie has a background in art.  We've had dinner with them several times and always have a lot of fun.  After church on Sunday, we ate pizza at The Snappy Tomato with the pastor's family--Mitch, Beth and Elliot--and Shawn and Susie and John, who owns the farm with his wife Annie.  Last night we went to a Cinco de Mayo party at Shawn and Susie's house.  They are from Texas, so they know how to throw a fiesta.  About half the church--it's a small church--was there.  Tonight we're going to the garden again.  It should be dry enough to finally plant some seeds.  Beth, Susie, and Thomas (another CU employee) have plots at the garden, too, so Annie has invited us all to stick around for a potluck after gardening.

From all the activity, you could probably guess that I'm feeling OK.  My stamina isn't great yet, but I haven't gotten dizzy for several days, so I'm making progress.  My nurse practitioner upped my anti-depressants and recommended some counselors.  Her top recommendation works for student counseling services at the university, which is free to us.  I'm going to call to get an appointment for us, hopefully for next week.  My gastro-intestinal woes are a bit better but linger.  I've been having problems with heartburn, and discomfort after eating isn't uncommon.  My stomach may have shrunk while I was pregnant, but I don't think I'm over-eating now.  But most of the time I'm OK.

Tomorrow the movie Iron Man 2 comes out, so Matt and I are going to see it at the theater here in town.  I wanted to go out of town for Mother's Day weekend, but Matt has to grade.  So we're planning a mini-trip to Cincinnati for some other time this summer, maybe later this month.  Tanner family vacation in Sevierville, Tennessee, is mid-June.  Since it's after my 6-week check up with the OB, I'm hoping I'll be allowed to swim again.  I'm not sure what else we have planned this summer.  There's always plenty of cleaning to do around here.  I'd like to learn proper swimming technique so that I can swim laps.  I need to get my bicycle tires aired up.  If we got a bike for Matt, we could bike to church together.  The tennis court is also across the street.

And I've applied for a few jobs.  There's a Baptist church that needs a part-time secretary.  I've also applied to be an adjunct professor at the university.  If I'm going to teach this fall, I'll want to prepare a syllabus and some worksheets/assignments over the summer.  I'm considering getting my own website so that I can continue practicing web design and can learn PHP (a programming language that makes pages more interactive).  It's not expensive and will give me a place to show my skills to potential employers.  I had planned to contact area churches last fall to try to get some web design/maintenance clients, but I never got around to it.  I guess I could do that this summer when I know what other employment I've got lined up.  I don't want to over-commit.

My summer will not be what I had been planning for, but it should be fun and productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment