Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Sprouts!

Several weeks ago I bought some herb growing kits at Dollar Tree that contained a pot, soil, and seeds.  I planted the seeds in the pots toward the end of last week and put them in front of the big window in the study.  This morning I checked on them and found I have sprouts.  I'm so excited!  I've got three pots of basil sprouting and a few hours later I checked again and had three pots of chives barely poking out of the dirt.  I plan to transplant the herbs to the front flower garden.  By the time we have the garden patch prepared, the herbs should be mature enough to move.

I want to buy more herb kits.  They were really fun because the soil came in a hard puck that expanded to more soil than could fit in the pot.  It was like those dollar store toys that "grow" when you put water on them.

Now that I've seen something I planted sprout, I want to check on my vegetable to see how they're doing.  Because I've been sick, it's been over a week since I was at the garden.  It will probably be a few more days before the storms are completely past, and then the garden may need to dry out a little.  Maybe by Monday or Tuesday, I'll be able to check on my veggies.

Gardening is super!  Maybe I'll buy some big pots for the porch or the deck.  I could grow more herbs and strawberries and maybe tomatoes.  Oooh!  I could try one of those hanging tomato growers on the deck.  A summer of fresh tomato and basil!  Pasta and caprese salad and margherita pizza!  Oh my!  Now I just need a cow so that I can make my own fresh mozzarella.  Perhaps I should successfully grow mature plants before attempting to care for livestock.

1 comment:

  1. I was at the garden yesterday & you've got TONS of sprouts up there :)

    ReplyDelete