Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Six Week Checkup: Check!

Today was my six-week postpartum check up.  My blood pressure was still high, but no body blamed me for feeling stressed.  It was actually more than a check-in than a check-up.  I think they didn't want me to have to stay there any longer than necessary, which is nice of them.  The doctor made sure we understood what happened with the umbilical cord.  We remembered and were able to tell him: check.  He made sure that my depression is being adequately treated and that I haven't had an urge to hurt myself or others.  Plenty of drugs and no self-mutilation: check.  I have since realized that he didn't actually check to see if my uterus had returned to normal size or that my tears had healed properly.  I think I'm fine, but he didn't ask.

He told me to keep taking vitamins, which I did before I was pregnant.  I still have prenatal vitamins, so I'll continue to take those.  He also told us that he recommends that we not try to get pregnant for at least a year.  He said he knew we wouldn't wait that long, so he urged us not to try for at least six months.  After realizing how much better my body feels and works when I'm pregnant, I had planned to get pregnant sooner.  But he told us that pregnancy takes a lot out of you and that if you don't allow yourself to get built back up, there are higher risks of pre-term labor and growth restriction.  I feel like I've been compared to depleted soil that needs to lie fallow for a season or two.  We'll wait longer than I've been planning to because it's better for the next baby.  But we can't afford to wait too long.  I'm 30.  And there's a point where the age of the mother causes more risks than not allowing the body to replenish.  I'm not yet at that age, but I feel like my egg supply is getting old.

Knowing that I've got six months or so before getting pregnant is affecting my outlook.  I've got time ahead to live a life not focused on babies.  I've got time to get healthy, lose weight, save money, and develop good habits. My friends Beth and Susie are putting great effort into frugal and healthy living, so I've got a support group.  I'll try to get Matt to help me plan for long-term success in accomplishing my goals and maintaining my progress.  I've been kind of a bum for the last month, but I've started cooking more and I'm ready to get the house clean before Grandma comes to stay with us on the way to vacation.

I had been dreading seeing the doctor again (even though he's really nice and hugged me again today), so I feel really relieved to have it behind me.  The relief alone is enough to make me look forward to the future.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear the check went well & was relatively painless in all aspects. Sorry I haven't had a chance to check in this week ... let's do coffee in 6 weeks?!?!?!

    See you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete