Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

The DIY Life for Me!

Gardening has led to a renewed interest in all my crafty hobbies.  I've been cooking things with my produce and am looking for more recipes to use the bounty of green beans and squash that has already begun.  I made green bean fries in the oven.  Other than being a little salty because of the extra garlic salt I added, they were really good.  And yesterday I made a potato squash gratin that I wouldn't mind eating every day.  I made watermelon granita with the half a melon Aunt Donna and Uncle Johnny sent home with us from vacation.  And I made peach sorbet (in a couple of Ziploc bags) with the peaches that were more soft than I care for.  I like my peaches firm enough to pull cleanly away from the pit.  Anything softer used to sit in the fridge until it was shriveled and moldy, but now it can become peach sorbet.

I've bought a storage tub to use for my own compost heap.  It's first use will be as a trash can until we can buy the style we like from Walmart.  Someone stole out old garbage can while we were on vacation.  And I've begun to suspect Walmart since the garbage cans were in stock on Monday but not on Wednesday.  I think they've been going around stealing cans to increase demand for garbage cans.  Ingenious!  :)  The $4 storage bin has a lid to keep critters out, so it will give us an OK place to put the trash.  And it doesn't matter if it gets stinky because I'm just going to fill it with newspaper, grass clippings, and vegetable rubbish for my compost heap.

I've started my ABC quilt made from the fabric from Matt's holey plaid boxers.  I think I'm going to try altering a cheap Walmart t-shirt into a shirt with more shape and style.  I've found a pattern for an easy blanket to crochet.  My friend Beth knits and is teaching our friend Susie.  We could start a knitting club.  They are both thrifty, crafty people, so we have a lot in common.  And their garden plots border mine.  Susie asked me the other day if I'd like to go to a one-day class on canning.  Sure!

I've been cleaning and organizing the house.  I've still got a long way to go, but I'm making progress.  I've also been reading a lot of blogs about thriftiness, crafting and green living.  I'm not passionate about saving the planet (I care, but I'm not passionate), but green sites have great ideas for reusing things you already own, which is thrifty.  I'm working up to a big de-cluttering.  I like the idea of streamlining my life by owning less stuff, but I'm a hoarder.  We'll see how it goes.

The other day I told Matt that I keep getting distracted from organizing because of all of the blogs about organization that I've found.  :)  He said that would be in his top 10 quotes that describe me.  Oh how well he knows me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment