Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What We Know Now

Neil was delivered at 9:54 yesterday.  He was 6 pounds, 3 oz. and 19 inches long.  When the placenta was delivered, the doctor could tell that Neil died of a cord accident.  The umbilical cord was attached to the placenta in an unusual but not necessarily life-threatening way.  Somehow Neil jarred the umbilical cord just enough that it became detached from its only blood vessel in the placenta.  The doctor told us that even if this accident had occurred when I was in the hospital in labor, they would not have been able to do an emergency C-Section in time to save him.  There was really nothing anyone could do.  And there was no way to foresee this.

Matt and I got to hold him.  Her was perfect and precious, and it was hard to believe he wouldn't wake up.  Nurses took pictures for us and put together a keepsake box with hand and foot prints and a lock of hair.

Matt and I are leaving the hospital this morning to take Neil's body to Springfield, Mo., to be buried.  Because he was stillborn, we are allowed to transport him ourselves.  He will be buried at Greenlawn cemetery sometime this week.  We aren't holding a formal funeral or memorial service.  After he has been buried, we will go with family to the grave site for prayer.

I believe I am recovering well both physically and emotionally.  I was well-medicated during most of labor and was able to deliver without significant tearing.  I've had a little time to process this experience, but I still occasionally spontaneously cry.  It's to be expected.  Matt has been super-supportive.  I told him this is one of those life situations that let you know if you've married the right person (not that I doubted that I married the right person).  I hate the situation, but I'm glad that I've got him to go through it with me.

Thank you for continuing to support us with your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment