Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Full-Term OB Apathy

Yesterday was Neil's due date.  Hurray!

Today we had another appointment with the OB and were ready for a fight to postpone induction until Thursday.  Neil passed his BPP.  My blood pressure was the same as it's been for the last few weeks, perhaps a little better.  Dr. Ackermann came in, asked when I was going to have a baby, checked my cervix, and said that as long as my blood pressure is OK on Thursday they'll wait until next Monday to induce.  That was easy!  Apparently, now that Neil is full-term, no one is especially worried about him.  My cervix is at a full 1 cm.  Dr. Ackermann said that if we induced at this point it would most likely end in C-Section because of my lack of progress.  He does want to induce in week 41 because of increased risk of Neil's inhaling his own feces in the womb.  It's not related to his size; there's no reason to assume that Neil is any more of a poop snorter than any other 41-week fetus.  I don't want to induce at all, but giving Neil a week past his due date seems fair to me.

I've been talking to Neil about choosing a birth date.  I've given him pros and cons of each day this week so that he can make an informed decision.  I don't want him to think that he has options beyond this week.  If his sense of time is like mine, a deadline of Saturday will mean he'll be ready to arrive on Sunday or Monday.  I've also been talking up how much his parents want to see him and give him hugs and kisses.  He's been settling further into my pelvis.  Sometimes it feels like he's burrowing.  Perhaps promises of hugs and kisses are making him eager to see us, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment