Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Guts Prefer Pregnancy

My body is recovering pretty well from being pregnant.  The post-pregnancy breast engorgement is pretty much gone.  How quickly I went from a 42DD+ to a 38D!  I'm certainly not complaining. :) The weird sliding of organs in my abdomen when I stand up is settling.  I'm still moving a little slowly, but I hope to pick up the pace next week.

Unfortunately, the gastrointestinal difficulties that seemed to magically disappear while I was pregnant have returned.  Everything I eat hurts.  The stress of grieving doesn't help, but I don't think my guts like their "normal" location.  I told Matt that if future pregnancies correct the problems again, I should have surgery to rehang my organs in pregnancy positions.  He thinks I should just stay pregnant, not the first time he's suggested this.  I reminded him that menopause will hit eventually, and I don't really need gastrointestinal problems while dealing with menopause symptoms.

I don't know that I'd mind staying pregnant if I could start at a healthier weight, which I plan to do next time.  I've lost 10 pounds so far of the 25 I gained, and I've got more fluid to get rid of.  My body absorbed all of the amniotic fluid that should have surrounded the baby, and that's in addition to the fluid that was puffing up my feet and the extra 20% of blood volume during pregnancy. The nurse at the hospital said that the pitocin used during inducement would make the fluid stick around longer than if it hadn't been used.  I'd like to lose 50 more pounds but will probably be mentally and emotionally ready to have a baby before I lose that much weight, which would take about 6 months at a healthy rate.  I'm giving myself one more week of rest before I try to exercise.  If the weather warms up this week, I'll see if Matt and I can go for a short walk or two, perhaps to the dining hall for dinner.

Matt has been very sweet and supportive.  I've needed lots of hugs, and he doesn't mind the spontaneous crying.  He's great to talk to because nothing I say is inappropriate or shocking to him, whether its black humor or theological speculation.  I stocked up on frozen food, so he's able to help a lot with meal prep.  Tonight we had microwaved garlic and herb fish, RiceARoni, and green beans.  Healthy and yummy (and still causing intermittent abdominal pain several hours later).  Matt takes really good care of me.  I'm so glad I have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment