Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Another Encouraging (and Entertaining) Doctor's Appointment

Neil passed his BPP without M&Ms.  He was breathing very deeply so that even I could tell what was going on on the ultrasound.  He didn't really like it when the ultrasound tech firmly held the wand in the same place for a while.  He didn't kick it like he does my lap desk, but he certainly squirmed against it.  My blood pressure was 129/80!  Apparently Neil didn't eat my cheeseburger last Thursday.  I gained back the two pounds I'd lost plus a couple more.

Dr. Reynolds is happy with our progress and doesn't think they'll need to interfere with the baby.  Dr. Reynolds is a trip.  Today when we left, Matt said we should record our appointments with him because they're so funny.  If something hits his brain--stories, songs, opinions, questions--it comes out his mouth, and he has an unidentifiable foreign accent.  While telling us about seeing Avatar at midnight in a nearly empty theater, he started singing "All By Myself."  But the funniest part of today's appointment was when he wanted to help us be certain that we're having a boy.  We didn't have any doubt, but we played along.  I told him that at 20 weeks, it looked like we were having either a boy or a little girl with a tail.  I had some fairly recent ultrasound pictures in my purse with a good "It's a Boy" photo, so I showed him.  Dr. Reynolds' eyes got big and he said, "Whoa!  There's no doubt about that one!"  He started making jokes about my taking Extenze, a "male enhancement" supplement, while pregnant.  He carried on for some time in a delightfully junior high way.  My MP3 player can make audio recordings, so I'll try to make sure I have it with me when we see him again a week from Thursday (our next measurement appointment).

I made good progress reorganizing and cleaning the kitchen this morning.  After we got back from our appointment, I took a nap for a couple hours.  My little internal alarm clock got hungry and kicked me a few times so I'd get up and make supper.  I made Moroccan Chicken & Vegetables with Couscous, and he thoroughly enjoyed it.  This morning I also made a pan of Ghirardelli double chocolate brownies.  They're made from a mix I buy at Walmart, but they're the best brownies I've ever had.  Neil liked those, too.  I ran out of the peanut butter I've been eating and bought something else at Aldi last week.  I ate the new peanut butter for the first time today, and he wasn't impressed.  My son is apparently a bit particular when it comes to peanut butter.  I've spoiled him with Trader Joe's all-natural Valencia peanut butter with toasted flax seeds.  I bought it for the extra Omega-3 from the flax seed, which is supposed to boost mood, but it's exceptionally good peanut butter.  I'm not sure if it's the yumminess or the extra Omega-3 that perks him up so much.  I'll try again tomorrow and see if he warms up to the new peanut butter.  Otherwise, he'll just have to be deprived.  Trader Joe's is only in large cities, and the closest one is in Nashville or Indianapolis.  Trader Joe's is one of the things I miss about Madison.  I used to go there every Wednesday while Matt picked up his comic books just a block away.  Thinking of Madison also makes me miss Buraka, the Ethiopian restaurant.  I think I may try making some African chicken peanut stew in the crockpot this week.  I found a new recipe on the Betty Crocker website.  Perhaps a mixture of exotic spices and peanut butter will make Neil dance, one of the great joys in my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment