Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Travels

Last weekend we went to Louisville because Matt had a paper accepted at a conference there.  While we were there, we decided to try out some restaurants and hit some bookstores and used children stores (where you go when you decide that a new child is too expensive).  We had a good time.  I had done quite a bit of research so that we knew what restaurants we wanted to try and where the stores were, and it paid off.  Over two days, we tried Queen of Sheba (Ethiopian), Havana Rumba (Cuban), and J Gumbo.  All were yummy.  We were going to try a Filipino buffet at Sari Sari, but it was closed on Saturday.  I have really missed African food since we moved.  I got a combo platter with a collard green dish, a carrot and cabbage dish, a chili chicken drumstick, a chili lentil dish and a beef and potato stew all served on a huge piece of injira bread.  I didn't care for the chili dishes, but the other stuff was super.  Neil didn't like it so much.  He didn't do his happy meal dance.  He liked the Cuban and gumbo much better.  We'll work on his appreciation of ethnic cuisine after he arrives.  My friend Stacy watches a little boy whose mom put spices like curry in his homemade baby food, and he loved it.  As long as it doesn't add fat, salt or sugar and the baby will eat it, I think "why not?"  It would be great to have a kid who likes to try new flavors.

Shopping for Neil was pretty productive.  He got a baby monitor and a used Bumbo chair.  He also got a Sandra Boynton board book (because I love them) and most of an outfit for possible Christmas pictures.  There are sweater vest outfits on clearance at Walmart right now for $11.  I found the outfit I wanted minus the shirt used for $4.50.  I'd like to get a set from Walmart in the 9-12 month size, then I could use the shirt from that set in Christmas pictures even if it's a little big.  We looked for the monster onesies at Target, but they are no longer in stock, which is disappointing.  I did get him some clothes, including a sweater vest for next Easter, at Goodwill after we got home.  And while we're on the subject of shopping for Neil, thank you to Mom and Dad Oliver and Aunt Arlene for their contribution to the rocker-recliner fund.  Since feeding will occur in the chair, I'm sure it will cause a happy meal dance after he arrives.

This weekend we're taking one last visit to see family before the baby is born.  We'll spend time in southeast Missouri, staying with Grandma and meeting Audrey's baby brother Aiden Michael, on Thursday night and Friday.  Then we'll head to Springfield for a few days to see Matt's family and my sister Ashley, who has discovered single serving Icees that you keep in your freezer.  Woohoo!  She knows me so well. :)  I'll also check out Other Mother's used children's stores while we're in Springfield.  I got some great stuff while we were there at Christmas.  Maybe we can mark a few more things off of Neil's wishlist.

After we get back home, I'll go for my next ultrasound, get some more housework done, install the car seat that's just sitting in our car, finish packing for the hospital, and wait for my baby to arrive.  The next sunny Saturday we get, I want to visit the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln, only half an hour away.  And we may make one more trip to Elizabethtown during Spring Break so that we can stock up at Aldi again.  That should keep us occupied but not exhausted as we enjoy our last weeks without children.

No comments:

Post a Comment