Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kentucky Chiropractor

Due to a lifetime of injuries, I have chronic back problems that send me to the chiropractor about every two months.  I was afraid that the extra weight of pregnancy, especially the uneven distribution of weight, would be hard on my back, but I haven't gone to the chiropractor since we left Wisconsin.  Earlier in the pregnancy, I had some problems with sciatica, but that resolved itself after several days.  During the last month, I've been having some rib pain that interferes with my sleep when lie on my side.  The rib issue isn't pregnancy-related.  I fell while working at K-Mart 10 years ago, and a rib popped out of place when the trunk of my body caught my entire weight.  Yes, it was as painful as it sounds.  Occasionally, I need someone to crunch the middle of my back so that it stops putting pressure on my ribs.  And yesterday my neck felt like I slept on it crooked, but the feeling didn't go away like a crick in the neck should.  So Matt got chiropractor recommendations from the last English department meeting, and the unanimous choice was Dr. Roberts in Campbellsville.  The recommendation from the nurses at my OB (in Lebanon) was Dr. Roberts in Lebanon, a different Dr. Roberts.  I went to see the Campbellsville Dr. Roberts today.

Visiting a new chiropractor is kind of scary.  You have to trust someone you don't know not to paralyze or kill you when they put their hands around your neck and wrench it.  Unfortunately, I saw a Columbo episode years ago where the victim was killed when the guy massaging her neck intentionally broke it.  It's an image that sticks with you and pops up at inopportune times, like when you're meeting a new chiropractor.  I have become reasonably adept at relaxing for new chiropractors because I had three of them in Madison.  I just saw whichever HMO chiropractor was available when I needed an adjustment, and all three were super.

Dr. Roberts pressed on my neck and shoulders to make sure I didn't have disk problems, and then we got right to the adjustment.  I told him before he started that he wouldn't have to apply a lot of pressure to make my joints move.  One of my Madison chiropractors, Dr. Fuch, kept making me feel like I had whiplash after every appointment.  When I told him that I had Matt drive me because I had trouble turning my head to back out of parking spots after he got through with me, he felt really bad and stopped crunching my neck so hard.  His adjustments worked just as good without the whiplash.  When I told Dr. Roberts this, he told me he would treat me like a "princess."  The word "princess" made me feel dismissed and unheard, but soon after he started pressing on me he said, "Whoa, you do adjust easily!"  After the adjustment, he put a couple of wedges under my hips and let my spinal fluid settle.  Never heard of the spinal fluid thing before, but it was comfy.

I also had him check out my wrists.  I think pregnancy is causing carpal tunnel, so I popped my wrists about a week ago.  One popped OK, but the other popped twice and then hurt and continued to hurt.  This has happened before, and I was able to pull on my thumb until my wrist stopped hurting.  Pulling on my thumb didn't work for me this time, so I decided to have the chiropractor try.  He told me that there are a couple of bones in the hand that can get separated from the wrist, which explains why I felt like something was dislocated and why pulling on my thumb might help fix the problem.  He massaged and wiggled both wrists and palms a bit and seemed to think it would help.

When I got home, I made a snack and sat in Matt's big comfy chair with my feet propped up and rested and let my body settle.  I felt a bit better when I got up to heat some soup for lunch.  After lunch, Matt and I took a nap, and I woke up feeling even better.  My neck and wrist are still a little stiff and sore, but I think I'll sleep better tonight.  Last night I hurt every time I turned over and had trouble getting comfortable again.  It will be good to sleep more soundly.

Neil didn't seem to mind the adjustment.  He hasn't always approved of my popping my own back, but he was quiet while we were at the doctor's office.  And he got pretty excited about snack time in the big comfy chair.  His movements are becoming a bit more regular.  I get a "good morning" thump.  Meals and large snacks are cause for celebration in my uterus.  He still hates my computer desk and kicks it away from my belly.  He's still quiet at bedtime but gives me a "hi there" thump if I wake up in the night.  He stops moving when I talk to him.  And I still find his movements funny.  Between Neil's thumps and Matt's expressive and conversational moans while he sleeps--a new development since this latest round of coughing began--bedtime keeps me in stitches.  My boys are so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment