Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Week 34 Appointment: What a Multi-Tasker

Another week, another appointment. Elsie passed her BPP again. She didn't show off her breathing as quickly, but she eventually did it. I'm considering eating lunch in the waiting room; she was kicking and rolling while I was eating in the car on the way to the appointment, so she was sleepy again during the ultrasound. She's cute when she's sleepy, but it would be good for her to be lively so that the ultrasound tech wouldn't have to poke us. Elsie yawned for us again. And she sucked one fist. Her other hand was playing with her toes, which were near her head again. I told Matt that sucking a fist while playing with one's toes is the fetal equivalent of walking and chewing gum at the same time, so she's coordinated.

The rest of the appointment was uneventful. I've gained some weight and had great blood pressure. We saw the nurse practitioner because the doctor had had multiple c-sections and deliveries today and was running behind schedule. The nurse practitioner measured my belly and said we're having a big baby. She asked each of us how tall we are and was surprised that I'm only 5'2". I pointed out that I'm always sitting down when she sees me. I also pointed out that I have a short torso, so even an average baby is going to take up a huge portion of my abdomen. She agreed. I don't mind if Elsie is big. I just don't want anyone to become concerned about her being too big if there's a reasonable explanation for why my belly is so big. The nurse practitioner did say that ultrasounds are more accurate than belly size. In two more weeks we'll check her size again and have a better idea of how big she is.

The doctor arrived as we were leaving and stopped us. He seemed disappointed that he didn't get to see us; we are special. :) He reminded us that we're not going past 40 weeks and that we need to come in if Elsie isn't moving regularly. We're told both things at every appointment. Everything has gone so well so far, that no new news is good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment