Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Car Seats Expire!?!?

I found out from my sister Kristin that car seats expire! Fortunately, ours has two more years before it expires. But I was surprised that non-dairy car seats have expiration dates. Also on Kristin's advice, I looked for some sort of tag on our crib that might tell me the make and model so that I could check to see if it's been recalled. There were no tags on it, but there were instructions for dropping the sides. Oh dear! Even I know that drop sides are considered a no-no. So we will need a new crib. We don't necessarily have to get rid of the current crib: it converts to a toddler bed and could still be useful in a couple years. By then I may be leary of a 12-year-old toddler bed, but for now I'm OK with it. We don't plan to use a crib right away, so we have time to get one. If we had needed a new car seat, I would have been more anxious and irritated. That's something needed immediately. I also checked to make sure our bassinet hasn't been recalled, and it hasn't. I'd really like to to prevent the nursery from being a death trap. If she survives the death trap of my uterus, I'd hate for a crib to do her in. Most of the time I feel pretty calm about my (in)ability to protect her, but learning about all the nursery items that have to be vetted makes me feel like the world is out to get her. I mean, cute Winnie the Pooh pillows are as lethal as letting her play with knives! I'm sure the paranoia will pass and return and pass again many times. I have a feeling that's not an uncommon part of parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment