Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Prenatal Personality 2: His Father's Son?

Since the moment I blogged about how lethargic the baby is, his energy has multiplied.  I have begun to wonder if he's perverse like his father.  Matt tends to do exactly the opposite of what you want him to do.  For example, I told him that at Christmas Ashley decided to call the baby "Neil" even though we hadn't decided on a name.  Matt said that she must not know him very well because that's a good way to make him not want to choose that name.  So yesterday, I mentioned to Matt that the baby has been really active since I told everyone that he's not very active.  Matt's response was "Way to go, son!"  I told Matt that I love him but I'm not sure I could live with two of him.  But, then, there are certain personality traits of mine that would drive Matt crazy if he had to deal with a double portion.  I then considered that our child might be a mixture of all the worst characteristics of his parents.  Oh dear!  Poor us!  Poor him!  A depressed kid with a short temper, social anxiety, and a tendency to be contrary.

Matt took my comment about not being able to live with two of him in stride.  He's been more patient and easy going recently, which has aided conversation.  Sometimes my feelings don't come out right the first time, so patience really helps as I find the best way to approach serious conversations.  I really shouldn't have mentioned Matt's reaction though.  He is his son's father and will probably become irascible now that I've labeled him as easy going.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Natalie, it's Krissy Wilmoth (Josh's wife). Congrats!! Feel free to follow my blog.

    ReplyDelete