Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Baby Registry is Started

Today Matt and I went to Walmart to put items on the baby registry, which is in our names because the baby doesn't have a name yet.  I had a list of items with comments from trusted mothers, and we registered for almost everything on the list.  I have a few more items to add, but I thought I'd talk to my sister when we go to Missouri before adding those.  She hasn't been involved in the email consultations I've been doing with other new mothers I know.

Matt always has fun playing with the toys, and he found several non-electronic toys that jingle and rattle when manipulated by a baby.  I'm particularly fond of sock rattles for some reason.  We both agreed that the combination book/teether didn't send the right message about how to treat books, a very important lesson in a family that dedicates an entire room to books (and office stuff) no matter how small the apartment.  I realized later that we didn't actually go to the toy department while we were registering, so we'll make another outing for further toy registering sometime.  I've had my eye on a stuffed sea horse that glows gently and makes soft music and waves on the seashore noises for bedtime.  It kind of reminds me of the Glo-Worm I had when I was little.

While we were at Walmart, I hit the clearance rack and got a 0-9 months blanket sleeper for $5 and a changing pad with storage pockets, which rang up as $2.50 at the register.  Yay!  I decided to put a few diapers and an article of clothing in the changing pad pockets when we got home.  The diapers are so small and cute; they have Big Bird and Snuffy on them.  I realized how small our baby will be, and I guess he'll be similarly cute because he'll be wearing the Big Bird/Snuffy diapers.

When I have access to a Target store, I'll probably register for some things there, too.  The times we've gone to the Target in Elizabethtown we've seen some things we like, mostly clothes and bibs.  And they have the breast pump recommended by the nurse practitioner in Madison.

I gave my resume to the chair of the English department today and am hoping that job works out and pays enough to get some of the big ticket items that we may not receive from friends and family: a dresser, a rocker-recliner, a really nice breast pump, and a crib.  There may be plenty of other items we don't receive as gifts, but hopefully we can stretch those purchases out over several months.

Now I just need to clean out the extra bedroom so we have a place to put the baby and all his stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment