Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

One Week


Maggie is one week old! It's been a good week with a few moments of craziness. Here's how we're doing.

Maggie
Maggie is doing really well. She eats well, often and efficiently. She sleeps well, even by herself in the cradle. She burps easily, hasn't had gas problems, doesn't mind wet diapers, and cries infrequently. She likes to cuddle and listen to stories and songs. She seems to like her sister. She's just a really sweet, easy going baby. (I don't want to label Lucy as difficult or high maintenance, but even with frequent feedings, Maggie has required much, much less effort than Lucy did or does.)

Lucy
Lucy has been sick part of this week. As usual with Lucy, there weren't really symptoms. She didn't feel well, and it affected her behavior, making her prone to meltdowns. We know it was illness and not just a reaction to a new baby in the house because we took her temperature and she had a fever over 102. On Saturday, she seemed more volatile than usual. Alice came to stay with us while Matt was at graduation, and Lucy refused to have anything to do with her most of the time. Fortunately, Alice doesn't take such things personally. That night nothing made her happy. She cried and complained for a couple of hours. Few suggestions met with approval, and then she didn't really want what she said she did. That was when we found she had a fever. Eventually, after a bath and some ibuprofen, she curled up under her blanket and with no pajamas and fell asleep. She has remained a little volatile to varying degrees, but she seems a little better every day. The only other symptom is digestive. She didn't poop for a few days. Then her stool was loose. Last night she took her diaper off, and while Matt was getting her a new diaper, she suddenly pooped on her bed and the floor. She couldn't control it, and she was horrified. Bath and ibuprofen helped again. Despite not feeling well, she has continued to be sweet to Maggie and usually remembers to be gentle with me. She also does a good job of being patient. We do have to keep an eye on how helpful she's being with Maggie, but I told Matt that if Lucy were to harm Maggie it would have been motivated by love and kindness. She has started giving Maggie kisses, which is sweet but potentially dangerous because she has a fever. We've tried to limit but not discourage the kissing. We want Lucy to love her little sister, but we want Maggie to be healthy. So far so good with both goals.

Natalie
I'm doing pretty well. I move pretty well. but I tire quickly. I can now cough and laugh without feeling like I'm flying apart. The external incision seems to be healing well. You can't ask for much better a week after a c-section. My biggest problem has been a herpes outbreak on my face, first on my lips and then in my nose. I'm sure it's just the opportunistic virus taking advantage of an immune system working to heal me while being further taxed by stress and lack of sleep. But because the virus is so contagious, I've been unable to kiss Lucy and Maggie for most of the week. I have to constantly wash my hands to make sure that I don't spread it to my nipples or other parts that are currently being handled more often than usual. I've been taking an antiviral prescription, and hopefully, the outbreak will clear up soon. Other than that, I'm mostly just tired. Feeding Maggie every 2-3 hours while also trying to let Lucy know she still has a mom hasn't left me a lot of time to sleep. I'll keep trying to get more naps.

Matt
Matt is healthy so far and doing his best to get enough sleep. He's been sleeping on the floor next to Lucy so that he can help her when she wakes in the night. Lucy has adapted well to cuddles with daddy instead of mama, but cuddles from a two year old can still make it hard to sleep. Matt turned in grades by Monday, so his semester is over. Normally, he would take a day or two to lounge and recover. He's not getting nearly as much lounge time as usual, but some of it is done while holding a sweet, snuggly newborn, which has to make it better. We've done a good job so far of taking turns with the kids. We quickly size up the latest situation and divide and conquer. We each get opportunities to care for ourselves a little, too.

Other than a couple of minor health issues unrelated to delivery and recovery, we've done really well in our first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment