Pages

Monday, May 23, 2016

Maggie's Second Check-Up

Maggie gained 5 ounces in 7 days. Dr. Mike had hoped for an ounce a day, but anything over half an ounce a day was acceptable. He gave her a B+. Considering the week we've had, that B+ deserves a gold star and a spot on the fridge. Dr. Mike checked her all over and declared her perfect. I expect that Maggie will make greater progress before her one-month appointment. My milk supply was low during my recent illness and just started to get back to normal today.

Speaking of our illness, Lucy and I are steadily improving after almost a week of coughing and chest congestion. Last Tuesday night I could tell that I was coming down with something and could feel the congestion setting up in my chest like concrete. I thought Lucy might be getting sick but wasn't sure until the next morning. I got medication recommendations for both of us from the pediatrician. Lucy got Benedryl to stop the drainage that caused the coughing. I got Mucinex for the cough suppressant and expectorant, avoiding decongestants that would mess with my milk supply even more. We did our best to keep from infecting Maggie. Fortunately, she was getting antibodies from the breastmilk. . I was supposed to push Maggie to eat more often, but part of the time on medication I was fuzzy headed and had no idea what time it was. During those times I just sat on the couch all day and fed on demand. Had I been in my right mind we might have gotten her weight up more. Lucy and I both went without medication today. Lucy might have benefited from some treat. She was in a mood today. At times nothing made her happy. Matt explained this to Dr. Mike, who thought that was normal for a two year old with a new baby sister. Then Lucy got up on the exam table next to Maggie to help Dr. Mike and comfort sweet baby Maggie.. Lucy was very, very sweet. I think we could all agree that being two years old might be a problem, but the new baby sister is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment