Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Appointment 35-2: OK

Ultrasound: Emmie did not pass her BPP. She breathed but not enough to pass. We've found that she does really well in the morning and not as well in the afternoon. In some ways that's not a problem. We know we can breathe. On the other hand, after she's born she will have to breathe in the afternoon whether or not she thinks it's breathing time. Since we were already going to the hospital for an NST, we didn't mind that she didn't pass. My fluid was 9.5, so I'm still at the low end of normal. They also checked growth. Emmie has stayed in the 16th percentile. They estimated that she's gained 14 oz., so she's just about meeting the half a pound a week gain that they expect at this point in the pregnancy. The head measurement was still small. The assumption at this point is that her head is engaged in my pelvis just as it should be for a vaginal delivery. When the head is tucked that way, ultrasounds can't measure the full circumference of the head, which is one of the measurements that the percentile is based on. So she's growing and gaining weight and holding steady percentile-wise.

Vitals: Good blood pressure and a pound or so of weight gain for me. Emmie's heart rate was a good 148.

Appointment with Dr. Reynolds: Doctor Reynolds felt my belly and said that if he didn't have ultrasound growth information, he would say that Emmie felt like a normal 35-week baby. She doesn't feel particularly small to him, so that's good news. In this case, his hands are probably more accurate than the ultrasound. He ordered another blood test for toxoplasmosis. According to him, you only have to wait two weeks to retest. If we're lucky, we'll have test results by the time we go to our appointment in Louisville tomorrow morning. According to Matt (I must not have been listening very well), Dr. Reynolds wasn't worried about Emmie not passing the BPP and said that the BPPs are mostly helpful to decide if she'll be born at 38 weeks or 39 weeks. We haven't even considered 39 weeks, but apparently Dr. Reynolds is. However, we see Dr. Ackermann next Tuesday. I'm pretty sure he's not considering 39 weeks. But by the time we see him, it will be 36-2, so it's highly unlikely that we'll have a Final's Week baby.

NST: Emmie did really well. She fought the monitors a little, so she was reactive enough. While we were there, I signed all of the Women's Center paperwork necessary before a c-section: I agree to anesthesia, a blood transfusion if necessary, supplementing with formula only if absolutely necessary, etc. So once we check into the hospital, the nurse said I'll just need an IV, a shave, and compression socks before going into surgery. "Is that all?" was my response. Invasive procedures but no questions or signatures. Sure.

We got home in only four hours and then went out to eat with Shawn and Susie. It feels like we just drop Lucy off with them and never get to socialize anymore. I want to socialize, but we take up so much of their time with childcare that I don't want to tax their schedules even more. It was really good to talk to them. And it's good for Lucy to see us all together. She's been fussing as soon as she sees them because she assumes that as soon as they show up her parents will disappear. She did well with them today after I left. Before I left, he didn't say anything about not wanting me to leave, but she didn't want Susie to stay. I'm sure Susie's staying and my leaving were connected in her mind, but she didn't directly protest my leaving. Fortunately, we won't have to leave her for our appointment tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment