Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Spring Break Sniffles

Earlier this week Lucy had a snotty nose, itchy eyes, and a tendency to melt down every few minutes. The weather had turned nice, and people with spring allergies were suffering, so I thought she might have allergies. The other option was that she had a cold. I wasn't sure which to root for. I didn't want her to have a cold, but allergy attacks keep coming back. As someone who got allergy shots as a child, I really didn't want her to have allergies. Yesterday Matt and I discovered it wasn't allergies. We were both getting sick. So far we're in pretty good shape. The symptoms aren't too bad: runny noses, Lucy's occasional cough, a slightly stuffy head-achy feeling that improves with Tylenol/ibuprofen/"treat." Lucy felt well enough to play on the slides at Burger King today. And I discovered that our Burger King still has Coke Icees, which will come in handy if I get a sore throat. If we can rest and recover for a few days, I think we'll be fine. Emmie is pretty lucky that she isn't catching things from her sister yet. She's been very perky today.

This week is spring break, so we have the time to get better, but it's also the week of the International Conference of the Fantastic in the Arts (ICFA), which Matt goes to every year. I've gone, too, but not since Lucy was born. We take Matt to the airport on Wednesday, and then it's just Lucy and me (and Emmie). And that's why we've got to get better soon. I have a hard enough time keeping up with Lucy when I'm healthy and rested. Fortunately, Susie has offered to let us sleep over a night or two at her house. We needed to start doing that anyway so that Lucy can get used to sleeping there before she has to sleep there when I'm in the hospital with Emmie. I plan to take Lucy to Bounce as often as possible because the swimming pool is closed for spring break and Lucy needs to exercise. I'm also planning to put the gate up on the back porch to give Lucy somewhere safe to play. I may also join the ends of the fence in the living room to form a baby cage in case I need to go to the bathroom and don't want to worry about what Lucy will destroy while I'm out of the room. We'll do what we have to to make it to Sunday when we pick Matt up again. I'm sure we'll both be glad to see him.

After spring break we have our next ultrasound, so we'll get to see Emmie in action before getting another Rho-gam shot. And then the next day is Lucy's 30-month well baby visit to the pediatrician. I don't think there are shots at that one. Other than the current sniffle and some eczema on her back, Lucy is in good health. Over those two days we'll find out how big both of our girls have gotten. Then it's Easter, and then it's April, which is right before May. Time is flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment