Pages

Friday, March 11, 2016

Emmie's Wardrobe & Pre-Baby Preparations

I think I've found and inventoried all of the preemie, newborn, and 0-3 month clothes we have. We're in better shape than I remembered. I do remember that I spent a lot of time on Ebay while nursing Lucy during those first few weeks ordering what we needed. And I started buying second-hand converter gowns in all sizes as soon as I discovered them. We may have to do laundry frequently, but we've got enough to keep her clothed as a newborn. We have 9 sleepers (footed PJs), 30 tops (both long sleeve and short sleeve), 9 pairs of pants (some footed), 5 converter gowns, and 4 pairs of socks. We have plenty of hats and bibs as well as a few pairs of mittens to prevent scratching. I added an extra pack of socks to the registry. The socks are necessary to keep her feet covered when she wears gowns and converter gowns, which I expect will be most of the time at home.

We're probably in good shape with 0-3 month clothes, too. The biggest thing I'm not sure of is how we'll dress a 2-3 month old in late summer. Will we keep her covered because of air conditioning, or will we put her in short sleeves and shorts because it's so hot outside? I don't anticipate keeping her outside for long periods of time. Fortunately, we have four cardigans or jackets, so layering will be possible. We've got 5 gowns and 7 converter gowns, so at-home clothes are covered. The other thing I'm not sure about is how well her shirts and pants match. I know some of them came as sets. In fact, some of the 0-3 clothes are brand new with tags because we received them as shower gifts for Lucy but never put her in them. (We received those 0-3 month clothes when she was 2 months old. We already had enough clothes. And the clothes we received were very pink. But it does mean that Emmie owns clothes that Lucy never pooped on. I'm aware of the little sister hand-me-down issue. However, most of Lucy's clothes are second-hand, too.) We do have overalls which makes matching less important. I'll look at the shirts and pants and see how they work together. If we need something else, I'll post about it and/or put something on the registry.

I still plan to inventory the clothes at least up to 12 months. It's not urgent to shop for future seasons, but I want to make sure the inventory gets done now so I don't have to make time to do it while taking care of two little girls. It can also be helpful to know what's needed so that things can be purchased on clearance at the end of the season. I anticipate needing some 3-6 month clothes because several of Lucy's sleepers are fleece, which will be too warm for Emmie in August-October.

I also plan to look at our baby gear. I got out the things we'll need in the first month or so: bottles, bottle warmer, bath chair, diaper bag. All were fine. (No mice this time!) I also know that the swing still works and still has batteries because Lucy turned it on (and tried to climb into it). I picked up the double stroller on Tuesday and only had to pay $20 for it because I picked it up at the lady's house. The cloth parts need to be washed. They were clean in the picture the lady posted, but her kids played on it during the days that we tried to figure out how to get the stroller to me. At least some of the pieces can be removed and possibly machine-washed. After I clean the nursery a little more, we can move the cradle in, and I can tighten up the screws on the changing table. One of the bouncy seats is already downstairs. A car seat is on the way (Thanks, Mom!). I hope to get to Lowes this weekend to check on shelving supplies. I think we're in good shape with gear. We just need Emmie to arrive safely.

I've done very little shopping for Emmie. It's a little weird to have so little to do to prepare, although when I list everything that needs to be cleaned, it seems like a lot. And with Lucy needing my time, I feel like Emmie has received less attention than Lucy or Neil did. I feel a little disconnected. Most of my Emmie preparation is actually preparing Lucy for Emmie's arrival or cooking and freezing meals. But as Emmie gets bigger and more active and as we see her at weekly ultrasounds in April, I'll get to know her better. And as the nursery looks more and more ready, I'll feel ready, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment