Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sooo employed

Wednesday night, I got the call that the church had approved hiring me, so I went in on Thursday morning to start training.  Wow!  This job is different.  I'll mostly be working by myself because everyone else on staff has a day job, so there shouldn't be many co-worker conflicts. :)  They get very few phone calls: only two in the four hours I was in the office.  They keep the doors locked, so there's no foot traffic.  The bulletin is on a single sheet of paper.  And other than routing mail and financial papers, picking up bank bags on Monday morning, sending a few letters, doing the one-page bulletin and answering a phone that doesn't ring, almost everything else I do is self-motivated.  This job will not add 50 pounds. Hurray!

This afternoon I walked to the academic office on campus to get some forms and sample syllabi for the class I'm teaching.  I also picked up a textbook at the bookstore.  Syllabi prep now begins in earnest.  My friend Shawn says it's the best part of teaching, and I have to admit it's pretty exciting before students get involved and expose all the flaws in the teaching plan and before the grading begins.  Some of the forms I picked up are for signing up for classes.  I hope to get that done by early next week at the latest.  My friend Anne works in the music department and recommended that I take Piano 2 since I've had six years of lessons, but it meets while I'm teaching so I'll have to figure out how to work that out. I now have so many friends I've become a name dropper.  :)

I went to water aerobics again this evening.  I started realizing that the rest of the people who attend water aerobics see us as a group.  I don't even know their names, and they probably don't know mine.  I'm probably just the girl in the blue and black swimsuit who grins really big while she spins in circles when we do the tilted bicycle exercise (everyone else stays pretty stationary). It's my favorite.  I'll have to try learning who the rest of the exercisers are.  From their conversations I assume several are public school teachers/employees.  Word is that the sixth graders are really rowdy this year.

It's been a good busy day, and I'm pretty tired.  If I go to bed earlier, Matt gets to bed earlier, so my job may be good for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment