Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

She Really Is This Interesting

I feel like I've posted more about Lucy in the last few months than in the preceding year. But I've realized it's because she's growing and changing and learning so quickly. I mean, she spent months and months walking and babbling. Now she's adding new words to her vocabulary and new skills DAILY. Here's a sample of what she's done just in the last week.

She started using past tense verbs. She very clearly said "Me jumped" instead of "Me jump" after jumping off of a box that I told her not to jump off of. We were proud of the linguistic leap, not so proud of the disobedience. We don't expect progress in all areas at the same time.

She got into the silverware drawer and got herself a spoon to eat yogurt. This was an improvement over chucking yogurt at me to let me know she was hungry. I had thought that she was too short to get into the silverware drawer. Boy was I surprised! What was even better was that she didn't just get yogurt for herself. She also got one for me and had it sitting at my place at the table. She had tried to reach a spoon for me, too, but it was too far back in the drawer.

She has started saying my and mine instead of me. She doesn't do it all the time, but she has shown she knows how to use possessive pronouns.

She spontaneously counted three baked potatoes as I took them out of the oven. It's the highest she's counted, and she did it without being prompted.

She has started playing "near and far" with Daddy in the study. It took a couple of minutes to figure out what she was doing because she had never said near or far before. She runs up to him and says "near" and then runs to the other side of the room and says "far." She then repeats this several times and thinks it's a fun game. I used to play something similar with her in the swimming pool when she was very little, but that's been a while.

Her vocabulary has allowed her to talk about rockets that go into space, "up, up a moon" when she plays with her toy cars, trains, and planes. She likes to talk about her remote control (which sounds like "a moat troll") that doesn't do anything because it goes with a now-defunct stereo. Yesterday she spill(ed) water ("ice") on the floor and needed to wipe it to clean it. I was also impressed that she took responsibility for her small mess and wanted to clean it up.

She is describing things by naming color as she talks about them. For example, she'll request the green dup (cup). The color is now an important attribute. She still refuses to say "yellow" and "purple" although she can correctly point to things that are yellow and purple if you ask (and she's in the mood to perform).

She also has told us brief stories about things that have happened to her. For example, one time she was outside in the snow throw(ing) snowballs and fall (fell) on her back. She talks about the "rahr on dat feevee," which is an animated tiger on a law office TV commercial that always scares her.

She has a couple of times told me that characters on TV or in books were sad. She recognizes the emotion in others, which is perhaps proto-empathy.

She is answering questions about what happens in the books and not just naming things in pictures, and it's not just BooBoo anymore. Tonight she was telling me about how rabbit and mouse fry (fly) a plane and crash tree in My Friend Rabbit, a book that we read for the first time a few days ago.

She did all of this in the last week, and that's just what I can remember. It's a lot of fun to interact with her and see what she'll do next. Every once in a while she'll say something unexpected, and I'll hug her and tell her "I love to hear your words." She is very quickly growing into a caring, responsible, articulate little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment