Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lucia Celeste Oliver

There is so much to say about Lucy's first week that it will take several posts to cover it all. Let's start with some facts. Lucia Celeste Oliver was born at 10:17 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 16 (her Great-grandfather Oliver's 86th birthday). She was 20.5 inches long and weighed 7 lbs., 12 oz. She was delivered by c-section after 12+ hours of labor.


5 days old
We're calling her Lucy and expecting her first name to be mispronounced by some people. According to my research--of course I did research when naming my daughter, and I conducted a focus group, too--there are four ways to pronounce Lucia: LOO-see-uh, loo-SEE-ya, LOO-sha, and loo-CHEE-ah. The first two are the ones we prefer and differ only in which syllable is accented. The first pronunciation is British and is a feminine form of Lucius if you pronounced it Lucy-us. The second is Spanish, with the same syllable emphasis as Maria. As long as the "c" is soft, you've got the pronunciation in the ballpark. We like that her name is recognizable in many cultures; it's a name that can travel. Lucia Celeste means "heavenly light." I still call her Elsie occasionally, but it's OK because that's going to be her professional name when she grows up and publishes something: L.C. Oliver. She and I have already agreed she'll be L.C. Bell if she needs a pen name. (Elsie Belle was my nickname for her before she was born.)

I need to pace myself because I'm still recovering, so I'll end this post. Matt has posted pictures of Lucy on Facebook. I'll try to get some more photos and information on the blog soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment