Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Happy St Margaret's Day

Today is Maggie's first name day, and we aren't really celebrating because I have a cold. Maybe I'll take something to church on Sunday. I thought this would be a good time to catch everyone up with Maggie's development.

Maggie is now 6 months old. She sits really well. She's not quite able to sit herself up, but if you place her in a sitting position, she stays there until Lucy knocks her over. She can roll onto her belly. She has rolled onto her back, but she doesn't do it regularly. She can plank, baby twerk, push up onto her hands and knees and rock, army crawl forward, pivot, and scoot backward. She can take a few steps while holding fingers.

Maggie likes to experiment with sounds. When my sister Ashley was visiting, Maggie started making clicking sounds with her tongue. She clicked at Ash and would wait and click and wait until Ash clicked back. Maggie was so proud of herself for learning to speak "Ash."

Maggie likes to look at and handle books, stuffed animals, blocks, and balls. She likes to shake things that make sounds and crinkle things. She sat in the kitchen floor with a package of ramen while I made lunch the other day. She was perfectly happy to crinkle the package while I cooked. She still loves to play with her sister, although Lucy is occasionally to rough, and I have to rescue her.

Maggie is pretty easy going. In fact, she's usually very jolly. She loves to laugh at her sister. She's ticklish and giggles when her clothes are removed. Maggie's laugh makes every day happier for me. As long as she's fed, she's pretty happy. She'll let anyone hold her. She'll sleep anywhere. She self-soothes pretty well. After her 4-month shots, she calmed herself by the time the nurse got the bandaids on, before I even picked her up. She sucks her fingers and thumbs. She is pretty patient, but when she decides she needs something, she can get angry quickly if her needs are not met. If she tells me she's hungry and I walk past without picking her up, she screams. And it quickly escalates to sound like she's being murdered, and she cries tears.

We started solids last month, and so far she'll eat almost anything. She didn't like avocado. We thought she had a reaction to carrots, but it was a virus. She has successfully drunk from a straw, but she doesn't do it regularly. She averages one baby food meal every other day at this point. She likes it, but it's more of a treat than a meal at this point. When I have milk pumped, she's willing to drink from a bottle, which really helped after my surgery.

Maggie is a delight. I enjoy snuggling with her, tickling her, playing with her, and watching her grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment