Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

How We Sleep Now

Sleep has been an issue for us for most of Lucy's life, but it's getting much, much better. When we had company for Thanksgiving, Lucy and I slept with Matt in our big bed. I slept so much better in the big bed that I became determined to sleep there all the time. And for the most part it's worked. I put Lucy to sleep on a mattress on the floor of her room. Sometimes she nurses to sleep, and sometimes she plays after nursing and then puts herself to sleep. I then go to bed in my room. If she wakes, she talks or cries, and I go see what she needs. I typically get her back to sleep with just cuddling. Recently, she's had a cold, and cuddles don't cut it, so she's nursed in the middle of the night once or twice. The other day she slept 8 hours straight! I gave her a little milk, and she slept a few more hours. It was wonderful. I had an entire night of sleep in a comfortable bed and then got some things done before she got up in the morning. It has taken a long time, but I'm pretty glad that I didn't torture her or me with "cry-it-out sleep training." It might work for some people, but I think she and I are too sensitive for that method. She just needed to grow into a new sleep habit. She's now able to get up and find me when she needs me, so she's not as afraid for me to leave her alone in her bed. We've still got a ways to go before she's where I want her to be, but I'm enjoying the recent success and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment