Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Quick Update: Late June

I found out this afternoon that I failed the one-hour glucose test by 5 points, so I have to go in tomorrow morning for the three-hour test. The doctor had told me that if the results were even marginal I'd have to take the long test. But I was disappointed. I'm an over-achiever and hate to fail.
It didn't help that I found this out after a short night and a long day at work. Matt had a boys' night with professors/fellow-gamers in Louisville last night. Elsie and I went shopping in Campbellsville. Consignment stores, Big Lots, Dollar General! We did it all! After Elsie and I got home, a rowdy thunderstorm moved in. Matt was still on the road when the electricity went out, so I scrambled to find lights and food and entertainment until he arrived. I was a little wired when he got home. About the time I got settled, Elsie decided it was party time... for four hours. I got about four hours of sleep and then worked an extra 1.5 hours at the church. So I was in no state of mind to be told that I had failed a health test, especially since I am very aware that my primary job as a mom is to take good care of myself and be healthy. And I was told I'm already failing. Self-flagellation is very easy when I'm tired. But I'm doing better now. Matt took me to Colton's for salmon and steamed veggies. Eating salmon always makes me feel virtuous. Then I took a nap, went swimming, discovered baby squashes and cucumbers and green beans while watering my garden, and took a long warm bath. I'm about to eat some tuna and celery (which also makes me feel virtuous) and then head to bed around midnight, when my fast starts. Tomorrow is another test. But surely the virtuous mom who consumes fish high in omega-3s, exercises, and grows her own produce can pass a test of sugar water and waiting around.

No comments:

Post a Comment