Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Acing Medical Tests

When I saw my nurse practitioner for a prescription refill last week, she recommended that I have blood drawn for a routine check of glucose, cholesterol, and platelets as well as liver, kidney, and thyroid function.  I had these tests run several years ago in Wisconsin, but now that I'm in my early thirties I thought it would be good to check things out again. I now have statistical proof that I'm perfect! When I had the blood drawn, I was a little worried about my cholesterol. My last meal before fasting was a cheese enchilada, a hard shell taco, refried beans, and tons of salsa and tortilla chips. But even Tuesday night at Fiesta could not raise my cholesterol. "Hurray!" I write as I munch another piece of Italian cheese bread.

Speaking of health, I've been using a site called Health Month to help me form better habits. I set up three rules to follow for August. First, I'm trying to drink 35 cups of water a week (5 a day). I'm also making a small effort at exercise, walking at least two miles a week (10 laps around a gym on work days). And I'm aiming to get in bed by 11 p.m. at least four nights a week. None of my rules are particularly difficult, but developing consistency is what is important at this point. I check in with the site every day, and it tracks my progress. There's also a place to journal about my day and to record my weight. So far I'm really liking it. I'm playing again next month. Playing three rules is free; more than three costs $5. I've got a free game next month, so for next month I've added rules about eating veggies and lifting weights to the rules I'm already playing. August has been successful, so I expect good things in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment