Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I Am a Christian

I have come to dislike most denominational and doctrinal labels, and I am especially reluctant to label myself, especially since I don't really fit any category perfectly.

I attend an Episcopalian church. It's kind of a joint Lutheran (ELCA)/Episcopalian church, but it considers itself Episcopalian. I like the people. I like the emphasis on social justice. I like the liturgical style of worship. I don't mind real bread and wine at communion. However, I don't believe in sacraments. I don't think Jesus causes bread and wine to become his literal body and blood. I don't think that communion imparts grace. I don't believe that infant baptism saves a person; I think a person must choose to be a Christian. Now, I don't know that God doesn't work through sacraments. He can do whatever he wants. I just don't believe that that's how God works. But I go to an Episcopalian church because the Episcopalians don't care if I believe in sacraments. I am a Christian, and that's good enough for them to accept me. And that's why I attend an Episcopalian church.

I used to work at a Lutheran Church (ELCA). During the years I worked at at Lutheran Church in Wisconsin, I didn't actually attend church. And the Lutherans didn't mind that I didn't go to church. They were also very accepting, very loving people. They are very serious about the Bible, which I like, but a little hung up on Martin Luther, which I didn't like so much. Like the Episcopalians, they're sacramental, so I don't agree with everything they believe; but I love the Lutherans.

I grew up in the Assemblies of God. I still consider myself Pentecostal (the Episcopalians don't mind that either). There are many things about my fundamentalist Pentecostal upbringing that I appreciate. Years of Sunday School and Bible Quiz have given me a solid knowledge of the Bible. A/G education is excellent. It made sure I knew what I believed and why. Some of what I believe has changed, but I know why, and that knowing why comes from growing up A/G.

I'm glad for the wide variety of experiences I've had with Christians. Although I don't agree about everything with all of them (Who could?), I am trying to live in unity with all of them just as Jesus prayed in John 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment