Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sprouts of All Sorts

My garden is growing pretty well. I've only run into a few snags. One of my tomato seedlings isn't looking good, a few of my root veggies haven't come up yet, and I'm working out some problems with the hose attached to my rain barrel. But everything else is doing really well.

Below are a few examples of the successes.






Broccoli (in the back planter) is doing well. I've got two plants growing and a couple more seeds sown. Kohlrabi and Brussels sprouts are transplanted and sown nearby. They are also doing well.

Turnips are growing in the block in front. My radishes and a carrot are also sprouting in blocks. Parsnips, leeks, and beets are starting more slowly.







The chives, garlic chives, and green onions in the back planter are doing good. The really tall chives were transplanted. They were in pots that I kept inside all winter. I transplanted them too early, and the cold "thinned" them, which was good for them. I always over-crowd when I plant and I hate to thin, so they tend to be spindly. I tried extra hard not to over-plant the chives this time. I hope it turns out well.

The front planter has spinach and arugula. Hurray!



I bought strawberry plants from Walmart and put them in strawberry pots. They are still alive and making flower and berries. I'm looking forward to fresh berries this summer.










I bought two new blueberries plants because I was afraid the one from last year wasn't going to come back this year. It surprised me. It came back and is putting out leaves and buds. I don't know if I'll get berries this year, but I'm excited about the progress my blueberry plant is making. In a few years I should have an ample blueberry harvest.


I'll take more pictures as more things grow. I planted lettuces and other greens around the Pea Haven last weekend and planted some purple hull peas and green beans in the two rows inside the Haven structure. I hope to get my rain barrel hose issue straightened out soon so that I can plant corn, sunflowers, cucumbers, melons, and squashes in the Squash Ghetto.






No comments:

Post a Comment